Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Something stirring...

Something has been stirring inside of me for the past few weeks.  I'm not sure what it is. I can best express it as a series of questions, and I'm not sure about the answers... all I know is that I feel compelled to write, to share my thoughts and opinions, contribute to some of the conversations going on in this world. Just by admitting this, I already begin to answer some of these questions.

Why do I never share my thoughts on issues? Political, social, current events, or anything?  Why do I share articles on FB and rarely comment on any or give a caption to the ones that I share?  

Am I afraid to put my thoughts out there? Am I afraid of what people might think? Am I afraid of offending? Of putting off? Of being pigeon-holed or stereo-typed? Afraid of criticism? 

Or am I just afraid that I'll turn out ignorant in conversation? Have nothing worth saying?

Is my desire to share my thoughts motivated by self-promotion? Arrogance?

I am reminded of two scriptures:
Luke 6:26 - Woe to you when all men speak well of you...

And Matthew 5:11-12 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

But that doesn't mean I put stuff out there just to be criticized (duh).  And I need to always ask myself questions about what motivates me - a need to be heard? arrogance? self-promotion? OR to be the "light of the world" and "salt of the earth" (Mt 5:13-16), to proclaim truth and justice, and just being obedient to the Spirit.

So I think, in this moment, I am making 2 resolutions:
1. Quit living in ignorance and become aware of what is going on in the world, country, and community.  Become knowledgeable.  Learn both sides of issues.
2. Don't be afraid to use that knowledge and insight in conversation.  Listen to the Spirit in seeking ways to get involved in constructive dialogue.  If I believe that there is truth to be told, don't be afraid to tell it, always in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment